Look how long it's been since our little princess got her forever family:

Thursday, August 7, 2008

All I really need to know, I learned in a month of parenting!

One month ago yesterday, we arrived in Nashville to officially start our life as the parents of four children. I have seen alot of posts on different blogs about the things children learned in the first month home. Kids certainly make amazing transformations and learn new things every single day. They blossom like little flowers in the sun when they are loved and nurtured. However, that is not what this blog is about. We all know Meg is amazing... but this is about the lessons she has taught me.

I have learned that one dishwasher is not enough for a family with four children.

I have learned that four kids and one big dog can make your hardwood floors so dirty, that after a day of walking on them in bare feet, you will leave footprints on your tan carpeting.

I have learned that I will never have another night of full, uninterrupted sleep, because by the time these kids are sleeping through the night, they'll be staying out late, and when they leave, I'll be in menopause and have insomnia.

I have learned that strollers are nice with the first three, but imperative with the fourth for the mere purpose of crowd containment. Yeah, I'm using the straps on the stroller now!

I have learned that a Toyota Sequoia will indeed, hold eight passengers, three of them in car seats.

I have learned that blogging is difficult, keeping up with other people's blogs is near impossible, and having a full conversation with a friend is completely impossible.

I have learned to type one-handed while holding a squirming toddler who is banging the keyboard.

I have learned that after a month of transition, even an hour alone at Wal-Mart at 10 PM can seem like a trip to the spa.

I have learned that my heart, indeed, can expand to contain all the amazing things I feel for each of my children individually! And that adoption and parenting can be the most rewarding experience imaginable.

I have learned that seeing your daughter start to embrace her dad and brothers as much as they embrace her is absolutely thrilling.

I have learned that if the theory of evolution were truth, moms would have grown four arms many centuries ago.

I have learned that I have reached my limit in the number of children I intend to parent.

I have learned that the things you worry the most about (how the transition would be for my three year old) are never the things that culminate (he's embraced her more than the other two), but it's the things you never anticipate that actually throw you for a loop (nine months of TB medication.)

There you have it, the fun things that having four kids has taught me in only one short month. It's been such a fun ride. My heart almost exploded last night when Brian walked through the door and Meg squealed with delight and then ran to him with her arms up. Yesterday, we went to the YMCA and I sat in the nursery for about 30 minutes with Meg, just to get her used to it. She had alot of fun playing with the other kiddos, so we decided to try for Mother's Day out two days a week in the fall.

2 comments:

Tiger & Kar said...

Ha! I love the theory of evolution sentence! That was great & provided a much needed laugh on an emotionally exhaustive day. Thanks!

Becky and Keith said...

AMEN! :-) Great post... you hit the nail on the head! We're fighting bedtime as I type this - I might need you to come train my kid to sleep! :-)

I see you looking!

Where in the world are you?