Look how long it's been since our little princess got her forever family:

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Reality Check

Well, speak it and God will prove you wrong! Seriously, at almost 40 with four kids, I must be the most clueless person on the planet. I still have SO much to learn.

Today we had a little reality check, which sent me searching for a more comfortable sling or carrier that won't break the bank. But if I don't find another alternative in the next couple of days, I'm splurging for the Ergo carrier everyone raves about.

First, let me just veer off the subject for a nano-sec... Sister got a haircut at Sweet and Sassy and she looks so much cuter without the mullet. See photos for proof! :)



Anyway, today, Meg started the smacking routine almost as soon as she woke up. So I had had it, really, I was just done with it and didn't know how in the world to get my point across that I wasn't kidding about "nice hands." So, I was too firm with her and she cried for thirty minutes. But that wasn't the reality check. The reality check came when she tried to "reconnect" with me on HER terms. I made the initial reconnection attempt by kissing her hands and rubbing her face softly. She would not let me touch her hands. She pulled away from me. So I put her in the baby sling and held her very close. I got out some food to try to feed her face to face, but she refused all attempts. Then she grabbed my nose, made a funny noise and said, "Nose." So my heart did a little flip, realizing that she was trying to control the reconnection and make it on her terms. She was rejecting my terms of reconnection, most likely from fear of rejection and from experience at controlling the situation around her. I kept her in the carrier until she allowed me to kiss and rub her hands and she allowed me to hand feed her grapes. And until she genuinely wanted down to play, not just to get away from me.

It was a very good reality check for me. I was cruising along thinking things were really settling in so much quicker than I thought. And then the mack truck of attachment hits me from behind and reminds me that we have SO far to go. We have not arrived at our destination, we haven't even stopped for our first real refill. We just had a pic-nic at a lovely little rest stop, but now we're back on the road again and we're all the wiser because we're rested up and we know the work we have ahead of us.

I post this because I want to say that there are SO many little subtle signs that might not mean much to most parents, but to post adoptive parents, they are everything! We are hyper sensitive because we MUST be! Bare with us while we readjust!

"Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged." Colossians 3:21

6 comments:

Amy said...

Adorable haircut!!! She's so cute!

Lindsay said...

Go for the ergo - it's definitely worth it. I love mine, and even though Hannah is so much bigger and heavier now it is comfortable for the two of us. Plus it does all three carry positions (front, hip and back) so I think it is well worth the money.

I did smack Hannah once on her hands. She had run across the room and bit me in temper when she couldn't get out of a door I had purposely closed. It was the only thing I could think of to get her to break her bite on me since I couldn't actually drag my hand out without hurting her. Boy the guilt! Plus after that she started smacking herself on the hands. Horrible. Fortunately she has now stopped biting and hitting herself, but it was awful to experience. I hope you are quickly able to help Meg stop this behaviour.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

You are so right. Keep in mind, she is a girl too and you are used to boys (God made us soooo different, its scary). She is going to try to drive you crazy! It is a skill that only little girls possess. Their sassy attitude and then sugary sweetness...its training for later. It sounds like you are doing all the right things with trying to reconnect and your awareness of all of this is incredible. Its like building a pyramid....one stone at a time. Just wanted to remind you though....girls are so different than boys, so don't be too hard on yourself. They are a whole new ballgame. Thanks for posting, I really enjoy reading your blog.

EJ and Grace said...

The pictures of Connor and Meg made me tear up. I miss you guys! I felt like we saw you guys a alot for a little while, and now I am having withdrawals.

Nicole said...

O,
I love Meg's new hairdo! She looks so cute! I looked at your ticker and it is hard to believe that Meg has only been with you all for that period of time . She looks so well adjusted as the newest member of the Harrison clan ...like she has been there all along!
Nic

Becky and Keith said...

That Meg is so freaking beautiful! How do you feel about arranged marriages?? I have a little boy here that will some day need a wife. These kids know how to push, don't they? Going to email you!!!

I see you looking!

Where in the world are you?