Look how long it's been since our little princess got her forever family:

Saturday, August 2, 2008

One month ago today!

Yes, one month to the day, we walked out of Baby Home Number 12 in St. Petersburg. And wow, how far we have come in one month. We've gone from a little girl who was motion sick, to a child who loves to swing and ride in the boat. A child who was fearful of every new face to a child who tolerates just about anyone who will pay attention to her, and she loves to give five and say Hi to every passerby. This child who went to sleep within two minutes of being laid in bed has now discovered that if she cries, someone will come pat her back... so she does it about 10 times before drifting off to dreamland.

This little girl is so precious. I look at her sleeping, or when we are rocking, and I just can't believe she's here and she's mine. She fits in our family so perfectly. She was so meant to be the youngest in a family of boys... did I already say that? She is drama with a capital D, but she is also go with the flow. She goes on the boat and lets the wind blow her in the face and never complains, she just sits back and takes it all in. She is adjusting very well. She is getting more comfortable with other adults and she doesn't freak out when I walk out of the room now (for the time being.) She still doesn't like closed doors, but she is getting there. I am able to shower without her and with the door closed now. I'll take the little victories.

I was talking to a friend of mine today who was a little overwhelmed by some of the parenting sagas we all go through and I was telling her my favorite thing I try to remember on tough days is that "this is a season." Really, every season in our lives have their rewards and their challenges. This season of parenting young children is wonderful and amazing in that every day when you wake up, you have a purpose, you know what your life is about, you know what you need to do and you know you are needed. Every day you get to see some little amazing revelation that your child never saw before. You get to be a superhero by just retrieving a lost ball (hey, it's scary under our couch, you ever seen the stuff that's under there?) or mending a hurt knee or heart. You get to negotiate deals and relationships between siblings and friends. You are so many things to these little souls that you couldn't write it all in a job description. In short, Moms are priceless. So, obviously, I have been counting my blessings through the trials and triumphs of the transition period. My friend Amie started it. Every time I would complain or bemoan how tough it was, she would just answer with, "I guess the blessing in this is..." and then she would find SOMETHING positive to say. So, I reminded myself that this too is a season. And as I was trying to pep up my friend today on the phone, it occurred to me that actually, it's not just a life season, it's a seasonal season too. Whenever you find yourself in a tough spot, it never lasts much longer than a season... by winter, things will be different, etc. So, as my MIL says, I could stand on my head for three months. So I'm standing on my head and thanking my God for this beautiful child that I am so blessed to have in my life. I just really can't believe God gave her to a mere mortal, she looks so much like an angel to me! :) Don't believe me, see for yourself!



1 Samuel 1:27
"For this child I prayed; and the Lord has granted my petition, which I asked of Him."

8 comments:

Little Patch of Heaven said...

Congratulations. You have a beautiful daughter. This is an amazing journey. Take Care
Danette

Amy said...

She's gorgeous! Congrats on your 1st month! How time flies...

Michelle R said...

Well, I certainly see that halo!
Definately an angel!

Becky and Keith said...

Wow! One month ago I met the three of you! Time flies! She is an absolute beauty and you're right - it's a season and oh, what a good season! :-) She is so beautiful - has those dark, dark eyes like Andrew does!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

She is really a beautiful little girl! Glad to hear that everything is going so well.

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

Meg is so adorable! I love it that she is so dramatic, perfect for a little girl. I hope you are getting more sleep!

Nicole said...

O,
I feel really blessed to follow in M and your shoes. You both are paving my way with all of your experiences and wisdom! Keep it coming!
Nic

Carol said...

I can't believe it has gone by that fast. Amazing what happens in 30 days! She is a real heartbreaker, you better watch out!

I see you looking!

Where in the world are you?