Look how long it's been since our little princess got her forever family:

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

St. Petersburg Day 3, Wednesday

Yesterday we went to the Baby Home to see MM again. This time it was a much better visit. The doctor first gave us her medical history, including what age she reached all milestones, from first smile to first step. It was way more information than we have gotten in the past and I was very pleased with everything she had to say. Brian and I felt we could not have asked for better, truly. So we are over the moon with our daughter! She warmed up to us alot yesterday. She tolerated Brian, but she was smiling for me, gave me a hug, and made good eye contact. She is able to stack cups and nest them as well. All of these things seem to be in good order and we aren't concerned at all. The ladies at her baby home seem very engaged with the children and very caring with them as well. They had given her a haircut when we got there yesterday, but the caregiver was showing us that they left some long in the back (think mullet) so that we could see how wavy her hair is! :) Sweet!

Anyway, today was the 8 doctor medical. Oh boy, what can I say? I can survive anything now! I survived being poked and prodded by 8 Russian doctors, removing my clothing down to the waist for an x-ray, an EKG, and a breast exam (with my husband AND translator in the room.) It appears that I am now considered healthy enough to adopt a child. This is very good news for the three I already have at home. :) I will say this, they took about six pints of blood and were able to get all the HIV, Hep, etc. tests analyzed in less than four hours. Never say anything about Russian beauracracy, I've never seen a US lab work that fast! :) Truly, it wasn't the worst experience I've ever had, but I wouldn't say I'd want to repeat it.

We met another couple who was also having their medical done at the same time. We were in the directors office having tea and cookies and cakes together. We decided to meet them for dinner tonight (probably at KFC, hahaha) and debrief from the day. They are adopting from another agency, but staying on the same street, Nevsky. If you are coming to St. Petersburg, I recommend trying to stay near Nevsky Prospekt. It is the main street in St. Petersburg and everything is very convenient to this site. The Hermitage is on this street, the Church of the Spilled Blood, etc. etc. We hope to go to the Hermitage, maybe tomorrow afternoon. We'll see.

It's still cold here. But it's not too bad, better than yesterday. We are going back to the Baby Home in about an hour for another two hour visit. We are really looking forward to seeing our daughter. At that time, we have to come up with her new name. We will see what Brian decides. Supposedly, he is looking at names on the internet to see if anything strikes him, if not, then Mary Margaret it is! :)

Stay tuned, I am really hoping to be able to post more later. By the way, thank you all for your prayers and thoughts and e-mails. It's been so hard being away from home, away from our boys, and away from "connection", but knowing so many people were following us and praying for us has really helped!

Paka!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

O,
I bet your heart just melted when MM smiled at you! I am so glad that you guy's are having such a special time with your daughter.We will keep those prayers coming!
Nicole

ATP Adventure Racing said...

Oh Ondrea,
This all sounds amazing and is making me very emotional... more then you can even think :)

2 points. I hope the doctors were cute doing all the poking.... also, if Brian wishes, the beautiful name "Avril" is available. Just FYI.. :)

Can't wait to meet her!
x Avril

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I am sooo happy for you! I hope the rest of your visits go as well. How exciting!!!

P.S. I am rooting for "Mary Margaret", but no matter what name you both finally decide on, I think she'll always be your little M&M!

Lindsay said...

I'm so happy for you both that everything is going so well. It sounds amazing.

Becky and Keith said...

I'm so glad you had such a good day - I've loved reading about your trip so far. Good luck with the rest of your visits - I'm sure they'll all be wonderful! Blessings!

I see you looking!

Where in the world are you?