Look how long it's been since our little princess got her forever family:

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

St. Petersburg Is....

I wrote the following post on our court day. I forgot that I had written it and wanted to be sure to post it for the record! :)


These are the things I think of when I remember St. Petersburg, obviously outside my precious daughter, that is! :)

1. World's Tiniest Hotel Room




2. Beautiful Canals that remind me of Venice, Italy



3. Crowded Sidewalks (especially on Nevsky Prospekt)




4. Smokers

(sorry, no photos of those, you'll just have to take my word for it, or smell my laundry!)



5. Very Beautiful Women!

(I suppose I could have taken photos, but then that might have appeared strange. But seriously, almost every woman you see in this city is super-model gorgeous, I mean GORGEOUS! I don't know where they get these genes, but they are very beautiful!)



6. Speeding Cars (seriously, watch out for your life)





7. Stray Cats





8. The Hermitage


9. No rules regarding lining up. Seriously, the stuff we learn in Kindergarten has just escaped the Russians. Even my Russian friends marvel at this phenomenon that you won't experience most anywhere else (so it's not just me!) There is no amount of personal space allowed. If you are being served at a counter, a Russian will come and stand RIGHT BESIDE you! Really right beside, not near, BESIDE! And if you allow the person in front of you in line the slightest amount of personal space, a Russian will fill that space, assuming you aren't in a hurry. So, if you are lining up to do something, remember to stand almost touching the person in front of you or else you'll never advance. I promise you won't be considered rude, it's the expected thing. Also, note that if you are carrying a baby, it's perfectly acceptable to go straight to the front of the line... now that rule I could get used to! :) I think that's where they get the rules for driving too! :)



10. Savior on the Spilled Blood Church


11. Giant Gutters (seriously, can you imagine the torrent of water that comes out of that sucker?)





12. Miracles!









3 comments:

lori said...

Ondrea-

I love your blog, it cheers me up every time and it makes me laugh/cry all at the same time. You are so talented at expressing what is going on in your house. And, it really makes me rethink my appreciation for the blessings I have and the responsibility I have to my kids and how none of that should be taken for granted. Thanks for sharing your gift to write and uplift all of us moms.

Ute said...

Yep, that is St. Petersburg - just as I remember.

....and you little girl is as cute as ever:)

Barb said...

I was going to ask if you could recommend a hotel for our 2nd visit to St. Pete (since our last one was way too expensive), but I think I'll pass on that . . .! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Our Sofia is in Children's Home #4. We were very impressed with the home. We miss her so much, and still have no idea when we'll be called back. It's very hard, and must be extremely difficult for her because she's older. I just hope she doesn't think she's been let down by adults once again.

Barb

I see you looking!

Where in the world are you?