Look how long it's been since our little princess got her forever family:

Monday, April 7, 2008

Borrowed words

Tonight, a little message to my daughter... I was listening again to the song written for my friend's daughter, adopted from China, and some of the words have just stirred me into a new place. Not the frenzied worried wait of the day, but of the soft, deep, soulful longing to hold my daughter. In the song, the singer wonders where her daughter sleeps and who holds her when she cries. And that stills me. It stops me dead in my tracks, in fact, and reminds me that while this wait is so hard for me because of all the selfish reasons I want my daughter here, it's not about that. There's so much more to this sadness than the waiting on my end!

My sweet little one, are you safe? Are you hungry? Are you scared or lonely? If so, I hope the angels are sitting on your bedpost, whispering secrets of your mamma, waiting and longing for you across the ocean. I hope she is a beautiful angel, with long golden curls and wings tucked behind her glowing white gown. I hope she is singing to you in the sweetest angel voice, stories of three brothers who are waiting just to "kiss your face off." And I hope she is telling you of your daddy, waiting to be swept away by your charms. But most of all, I hope she is telling you that you have a Mommy who loves you very much, and who has shed tears of longing for you for a long time. A mommy who would like nothing more than to hold you as you sleep and take away all your worries. And I hope she is telling you that soon you will not have to cry in vain, or be lonely, or wait for your next meal. Soon you will have two strong arms to run to anytime you have a boo-boo, or just need a hug. You will have six playful arms ready to engage you in any manner of fun. You will have soft hands to hold and a song to drift you off to sleep each night. I hope she is telling you about the rocking chair that awaits you with books and blankets. And the soft pink room painstakingly decorated just especially for you. I hope that she is telling you that there are so many families out there that are longing for you, but you very specifically have been chosen for us and God is very actively bringing us together RIGHT NOW. It's taking a little longer than Mommy had hoped, but we're coming, baby! It's almost time for you to rise and begin your day, just as your brothers, Daddy and I are ending ours. But you are in each of our prayers. Even our little Connor prays for you by name each night now. I hope you are feeling the warmth and love that is being sent to you from the other side of the earth. And I hope someone is loving on you, wiping your tears, mending your hurts, and giving you one last pat before you drift off to sleep each night. I hope beyond reason that someone is loving you until we can be there to do it forever. We love you little one! Spakona Noche!

No comments:

I see you looking!

Where in the world are you?