Look how long it's been since our little princess got her forever family:

Monday, April 14, 2008

Redeemed from the Pit!

"He will be gracious to you when you cry out, as soon as he hears he will answer you. The Lord will give you the bread you need and the water for which you thirst." Isaiah 30:19-20

I had to start with that verse tonight because I have had a burden lifted. Today about 10:30 AM, our agency called to let us know that we are FINALLY registered in St. Petersburg (April 14th is my pink letter day) and we have an invitation to travel May 5-10. YEEE-HA!!! I know that God hears our cries, even when we are not triumphant in our battles. I know that He has been hearing me all along and that His timing was for now, not for sooner. But I do feel I finally have cause to celebrate tonight.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion, who satisfies your years with good things..." Psalm 103:1,4-5

Having said that, I think anyone who has ever been through the adoption process or infertility will tell you that hope is always tempered with caution. Excitement is always reined in by reality. There is always that guarded optimism until the thing is done. I am no different after two adoptions and a successful pregnancy and birth, I am still cautiously optimistic and guardedly hopeful. I can still never quite allow myself to fully celebrate until we land safely in Nashville, child in hand. So, somehow, this post was harder for me tonight than all the longing posts of the past. It feels like I am bringing on opposition if I celebrate the small milestones. It's weird, I can call and ask for prayers when I am suffering, but those celebretory calls were really hard for me to make today. I am always afraid it's some cruel misunderstanding and they will say, "Oh, oops, did we tell you to travel on the 5th. We meant to call the Smiths, sorry, go to the back of the line." :(

But, tonight, I am going to allow myself to soak in the fact that we are registered, and that in itself is a victory! I feel a tremendous weight off my shoulders knowing that St. Petersburg officially knows we exist. They know that we have been given an invitation to travel. They presumably know we are coming. And our daughter is there, she's real, and she's available. At least at the moment. (See, I can't be 100% cheerful, even now! :)

I am so happy to be planning a trip to Russia. Booking flights, reserving apartments, dreaming of holding our little one for the first time. I'm anxious to see St. Petersburg and I hear that May is the absolute best month of the year to visit. It's known as "White Nights" so I have to go start to do some research on the excitement and festivities.

And I will put my trust in the Lord that He has done this for us and we are not to be disappointed.

Thank you, friends, who have walked this road with us. Thank you for your prayers and your calls and all your concern. Please continue to pray for us as we have not exactly reached smooth sailing territory yet. But also, please do pray for the other families in the process who do not have their burdens lifted tonight. Most of all, pray for our children and those who have no hope of parents. They need it the most!

"I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders. I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High." Psalm 9:1-2

6 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

What an awesome post! You are right - it's so much easier to post the disappointments when it comes to adoption because it seems like we spend so much time being guarded! I pray the rest of this road goes without issues and you're able to bring your girl home soon! Can't wait to hear about your first trip!

Beth said...

Loved your post! I, too have felt this very same way through our two adoptions. Can't wait to follow you on your first trip to St. Petersburg and your little girl.

Michelle R said...

Halaluja! In all the small moments may we dance big! And in all the big moments may we fall to our knees.

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

What an awesome post! I am jumping for joy for you and can't wait to hear more about St. Petersburg and, of course, your daughter!!!

Nicole said...

I am so excited for you! Now, have fun planning your trip to meet your precious daughter.I can't wait to hear all about it!
Nicole

Lindsay said...

That's awesome. Wonderful. Get packing!! I'm so happy for you.

Godspeed to you daughter.

I see you looking!

Where in the world are you?